Dagestan and knives as an art form
The Caucasus has been famous for its melee weapons since ancient times. Armourers have always been valued for their beautiful, perfectly shaped and sharp knives. The centuries-old experience and skill of ancestors revived the Dagestan enterprise of the city of Kizlyar in its products.
Knives were made in those parts, starting approximately from the 1st-2nd century BC, when Caucasian Albania appeared. This contributed, along with the emergence of trade relations, the development of the formidable arms craft. But we will recall the time that is closer to us than the mention of Caucasian Albania.
There were both small industries that satisfied the needs of only the local population for such a product, and larger ones, which later grew into entire centers for the supply of weapons not only to the whole of Dagestan, but also to other, more remote regions of the Caucasus. Hence the name "weapons smithy". The blades were made of both all-steel and welded steel, which was of particular value due to the pattern obtained with this manufacturing method.
The decoration also played an important role. This is a real art that modern masters are now reviving. But the acquisition of a good Kizlyar, Dagestan, knife in the past was considered a great success in Russia. Now you can buy Kizlyar knives with or without ornaments without even leaving your home, since there are Internet resources selling various equipment, and along with it, knives. But a good blade, decorated with an ancient pattern, has not left anyone indifferent.
The craftsmen had several types of ornamentation, which had clear differences, but could be combined on one blade. So, for example, one of the compositions was called "tutta", which means "branch", "tree" in translation. This ornament was built along vertical symmetry. The axis divided the surface intended for decoration into two equal parts. And it was believed that such an ornament can only be performed with high quality by a very experienced master.
Russian hunters and other hunters have always liked the steel of Dagestan, and now Kizlyar knives. They combine reliability and aesthetics, the spirit of the past and the ergonomics of our time, grace and formidable strength. And once having received such a blade as a companion, you will walk with it many kilometers of the roads of your life and will be able to pass it on to your sons almost the same as it was on the day of your meeting.
Kizlyar knives are produced in several categories:
- Tourist / folding.
1. Kizlyar hunting knives deservedly enjoy the greatest recognition among hunters, since they fully meet the following basic provisions:
- the design of the knife with a handle pressed onto the shank, which runs along its entire length;
- handle material made of Caucasian walnut, leather, wood, rubber-plastic;
- blade geometry. In the vast majority of models, the blade tapers to a point, and some have a dedicated stiffener;
- dimensions. Ideal for hunting knife sizes are in the range of 20-25 cm with a long blade of no more than 13-15 cm.
2. Kizlyar daggers are one of the oldest weapons for hand-to-hand combat. Modern models are produced in the form of a gift or souvenir product, since the combat dagger belongs to the category of edged weapons, the storage and carrying of which requires a license and special permission. All samples have the manufacturer's mark; if desired, a custom-made inscription is applied to the upper part of the dagger.
3. Kizlyar tourist knives are the main tool in any hiking trip. They are of high quality, reliable and versatile. The high-carbon steel of the blades keeps their sharpness for a long time and is ideal for processing products and small woodworking. Some models are equipped with a sereiter - a serrated sharpened section that is convenient for making fire with a flint or cutting ropes.
Kizlyar knives are the dream of many connoisseurs and connoisseurs of cold steel. They have a great shape, recognizable the first time.