Choosing a compromise between Damascus steels with a hardness of 58-62 HRC and stainless steel of the 95X18 and 50X14MF type, pay attention to the AUS-8 steel, which by its characteristics occupies an intermediate position between them, that is, the "golden mean".
Some call it "obsolete steel", but we see only advantages in this - AUS-8 is easy to process, eminent gunsmiths and artisans know how to work with it, so the risk of encountering low-quality blades made of Japanese stainless steel is very small, although ... In general, as always, Buy where there is a return guarantee in which case.
10 characteristics of AUS-8 steel and knives made of it :
- High mechanical properties (strong steel);
- Easy to grind and polish;
- With proper heat, AUS-8 knives show an aggressive cut, keep sharpening well;
- Resistance of the cutting edge of knives to chipping;
- Medium corrosion resistance (don't forget to care for the knife);
- Has toughness (feel free to use for cleavers, machetes and tourist hatchets);
- Easily sharpened at home, as well as with improvised means;
- Relatively low price with stable quality;
- Recommend knives from AUS-8 for hunters, fishermen, tourists, hikers, fishermen, chefs or for work in the kitchen.
Negative moments :
- Prolonged exposure of the knife in a humid environment may undergo pitting (pitting) corrosion;
- The hardness of steel can "walk" from manufacturer to manufacturer, but within reasonable limits.
Chemical composition :